Collection NameGoupil Gallery, London
Reference Number (click the number to browse all records in this collection)TGA 739
TitleScrap albums of the Goupil Gallery
Extent9 volumes
Access StatusOPEN
LocationBound volume sequence
DescriptionThe albums contain catalogues of exhibitions and prices of paintings exhibited, photographs and press notices.
Arrangement Arranged chronologically.
Related MaterialTGA 8314, Records of the Goupil Gallery.
Administrative HistoryThe Goupil Gallery was founded in Paris in 1827 by Adolphe Goupil in partnership with Mr Rittner. The two partners were succeeded by Goupil, Vibert & Co. and, from 1848, by Goupil & Co. The gallery had sister galleries in London, New York and the Hague. It has been difficult to establish when the London office opened, but it was in existence in the early 1860s at 17 Southampton Street, Strand and successively galleries were occupied at 25 Bedford Street, Strand (where the gallery was known as 'Goupil & Co.s Galleries'); 116 and 117 New Bond Street and, in 1893, at 5 Regent Street. It was in 1886, shortly after Boussod, Valadon & Co. took over the business, that the London gallery was given the title 'The Goupil Gallery'. In 1897, the business was sold to Jean Boussod, Manzi, Joyant & Co. The London business was ceded, in 1901, to William Stephen Marchant, who had been connected with the establishment since 1886 and had been the gallery manager since 1898. Marchant was able to retain the name of the business as 'The Goupil Gallery' after winning a court case in 1907 brought by the owners of the French gallery (see TGA 8314/1/6 for further details of the case). As 'William Marchant & Co.', whose directors included Lord Howard de Walden, Edward Marsh and Marchant's wife, Cicely Gertrude Marchant, the gallery held exhibitions of British and French art, twice yearly Salons, and represented a diverse range of artists, notably Eric Gill, John Nash and Stanley Spencer. After Marchant's death in 1925, his wife, Cecily Gertrude Marchant took over the running of the gallery along similar lines. In 1941, the gallery, some works of art and most of its records were destroyed by a bomb.
Acquisition SourcePresented by Maurice Bradshaw to the Tate Library in 1955, and transferred to the Archive in 1973.

Show related Persons records.

Add to My Items